ALTA-FL is a professional membership organization of leaders and experts in the remediation of reading and writing through structured literacy. We are dedicated to bringing dyslexia awareness to our state by providing professional development for our members as well as education and community outreach events to the greater Florida community.
We are dedicated to providing continuing education opportunities that promote the professional growth of our members. Events are worth continuing education hours (CE) to use towards ALTA membership requirements.
Find a Florida Professional
Our members are made up of individuals with the CALP, CALT, ICALP, or CALT-QI distinction. Find an ALTA-certified professional in your area that represents the highest quality services to those individuals with dyslexia.
ALTA Florida Chapter Roles and Responsibilities
The ALTA Florida Chapter agrees to adhere to the national organization’s by-laws and ethics.
- All members in good standing with ALTA National who reside in the state of Florida are automatically members of the ALTA Florida Chapter.
ELECTION SCHEDULE AND TERM LIMITS:
- Elections will be held every year by September 15th
- Term limits shall not exceed 2 years for each office
- Convenes and Facilities Leadership Meetings and Chapter Meetings
- Creates agendas for Leadership Meetings and Chapter Meetings
- Monitors Chapter email account
- Participates in the Council of Presidents—ALTA National
- Facilitates communication between the National and Local Chapter
- Submits the Chapter Annual Report to the National ALTA Chapter’s Chair yearly
- Will provide publicity materials to ALTA National as requested
- Provides ALTA-FL membership updates at Leadership and Chapter Meetings
- Submits Chapter CE Events to National via the form on ALTAread.org
- Emails Chapter members to raise awareness of CE events
- Monitors Chapter Zoho Drive Membership Reports
- Reaches out to members who did not renew their membership to encourage renewal
- Sends emails to welcome new members to ALTA
- Records minutes of Chapter Meetings
- Emails CEH Certificates to attendees within 10 days of the event
- Provides updates on the chapter finances and Leadership & Chapter Meetings
- Submits fees and expenses to National via the form on ALTAread.org
- Keeps track of membership Event Registration Fees
- Updates Google Drive with membership Event Registration Fee participants
Under Florida Legislation, dyslexia is categorized as a specific learning disability and requires “well delivered scientific, research-based instruction and interventions addressing the identified area(s) of concern and delivered by qualified personnel in general education settings.”
ALTA-FL is made up of therapists and practitioners dedicated to providing rigorous evidence-based multisensory structured language education (MSLE) therapy to individuals with dyslexia. Meet the leadership team.
Diane Colonnese, CALT
Diane Colonnese is the President of ALTA-FL Chapter. She is a CALT certified through ALTA. She has been a K-6 classroom teacher for over 26 years. She earned a Masters in Academic Language Therapy from Southern Methodist University in 2010. Diane is currently working as a private therapist through the Multisensory Reading Center.
Julie Nisbet is the Vice President of the ALTA-FL Chapter. She earned a Master’s degree in Education with Specialist Certification in School Psychology. Julie has worked in the education field for 25+ years, holding jobs as a school psychologist, reading specialist, ESE teacher, and classroom teacher. Julie received CALP certification through ALTA in 2017 after attending an IDA-accredited program at the Children’s Dyslexia Center in Dublin, Ohio. Julie also holds certification as a Structured Literacy Dyslexia Interventionist through CERI/IDA. Julie currently works as National LETRS Professional Learning Facilitator.